Russian Roulette for path tracing is really a beautiful thing. I didn't fully understand the point until now. Here's the beauty: it completely solves the whole "ray depth" thing. With RR, you can set your depth absurdly high with almost no performance hit (well, unless everything in your scene is *really* reflective). Why? Because very few rays carry any significant amount of information after a few bounces, so there's really no point in tracing them. Still, if you just discard all rays below a certain radiance or limit the bounce depth, you introduce bias.
With RR, you get as much bounce depth as you want, discard the unimportant rays probabilistically, and have no bias in the end but much faster results.
Oh, and I've finally made a simple, movable camera. With some optimizations to the the tracer, I'm now able to actually move around the scene a bit.
More optimizations to come!

No comments:
Post a Comment