Friday, April 13, 2012

First GLSL Ray Tracer

Here's the plan.  PBRT is great, but it doesn't have good support for volumetric-type stuff in combination with Metropolis/path tracing.  I'm pretty sure I need path tracing to get good results in this scene.  I don't think I want to implement volumetric photon mapping in PBRT...especially since I have no idea how that would interact with MLT (I assume the interaction would be fairly complex...).

But the hardcore rendering part of this project is supposed to be about the interaction of light in a hazy asteroid field.

So here's the plan: I'm going to try to write a GPU path tracer to render the scene.  That one sentence is all you need to read to know that I'm absolutely doomed to failure.  Even still, I'm going to try my hardest.  I'm sure I'll run up against infinitely many GLSL limitations (no, I'm not even going to use CUDA...).  But I'm still going to try :)


To that end, I preset my first GLSL ray tracer! Nothing fancy, but it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment