Saturday, April 21, 2012

RAWR.

I'm pretty angry right now.  Just when I was about to give up on texture buffers, I thought to myself, "you know what, GPU memory and OpenGL are both so stupid that I'll bet changing one of these random enums could totally change everything."

I mean, it makes a lot of sense to specify GL_STATIC_READ for a buffer that's going to be read and never changed...amiright???

So guess what happened when I changed it to GL_STATIC_COPY?  Performance +50%.  Yep.  Wait, what? I thought read-only memory was the fastest?  Shouldn't that memory get shipped over to the GPU and never have to look back?

Am I going insane or did the definition of "read" change drastically since the good-old D3D9 days?

Wow.  Well, there you have it.  All-in-all, I'm up about 75% in performance from yesterday.  Looking good, but I still need more.  But hey, given how random things like changing an enum can give you +50%, I guess there's reason to be hopeful, right?

(Sorry for the rant.)

No comments:

Post a Comment