Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Hit the Mark!!!

Today I achieved my performance goal of 10fps on the medium-quality ship scene.  It marks a huge improvement over the first path tracer, which would have attained about 0.5fps.  Not only that, but it marks a significant improvement over the highly-optimized GLSL tracer that was my state-of-the-art only two days ago, and was not even half as fast (4.5fps).

Most of my recent performance gains were from various tweaks to CUDA, not so much changes to the path tracing code, although I did gain a little speed from caching first bounces (view-ray intersections).

I think I'm finally able to say that my path tracer is good enough for competition use!  I still need to add texturing/normal mapping/a host of other things, but none of that should be too hard.  Soon I'll be returning to the procedural content part of this project to work on the scene!

Exciting times :)

No comments:

Post a Comment