Equipped with MLT, I'm now able to view my scenes in more detail than ever before with only a few minutes of waiting time:
There are several conclusions that I can draw from this high-res shot:
- My MLT implementation isn't normalized (I knew this, I was just using an ad-hoc value, but I'll need to compute the real average)
- Those Voronoi asteroids really are going to cause problems with the discontinuous normals
- There's still an unknown problem causing triangles viewed from the side to appear black in some cases (this is visible at the edges of certain parts of the ship). This concerns me a lot, as I'm not sure whether it's a problem with my tracer, or whether the normals of the ship are just bad. I'm tempted to think the latter, since bumping up the resolution seems to fix things.

No comments:
Post a Comment